Hallucinating Hampi- Traveler's thought

#1

 

I along with a few other friends were chilling our day out thinking about going on a trip to Hampi. Chippy and Sherin were the only ones among the group who had gone there earlier. As the conversation about the trip started, Chippy drew a map on the chit of paper as she hurriedly sat near me with excitement to describe the topography and geography of Hampi. Sherin, who was cleaning the vessels narrated her memories as well. Saju, the only other guy in the room other than me was making rounds around the corner of his house looking for the charger. He paused to look around in wonder when i exclaimed, "Man, i am going alone, and this is happening soon". The other three of them screamed in a chorus "we will go together". I let out a smile and simply nodded yes, but i had already zeroed on going alone.

April was the month and it was deadly hot this year. Thanks to the rising global warming that added another 2 degree Celsius to the atmospheric temperature. Ever since, I had started earning it was always at this time of the year, my travel hormones rake up. I travelled alone to Mumbai, the previous year, followed by a trek to Velliangiri Mountains in Coimbatore. 
Goa had been on my cards since I graduated engineering, It never took off after being let down by my group of friends, every time I came up with the plan. I finally decided to take a break from work and go on a solo travel. After learning about my unscheduled plan only Vikas dared to hop in, now it was me and him alone, but for him he wanted to go back after spending his time in Goa. He planned and booked his return tickets, while I had no idea about my schedule.

4 days in Goa and almost everything that I did had a first timer's excitement, for all the occurrence that happened from staying in a dorm with completely random backpackers, parasailing, drunk night outs, overnight party, everything about the trip was exciting as of then. Never late before we realized, that we have to check out the next day.

Sheela wasn't at the bar, but a guy was so busy keeping everyone around him happy, and as I walked to him, it was Rohit, the owner of the hostel that we were staying. I had already heard a lot about his nomadic life and so I looked up to his insight about staying in Hampi. He, being a guy with satire said
"brother it is simple, there is a Holy side and a Unholy side, choose to stay in the Unholy side and things will happen" but also warned me about the scorching heat, that might get me dehydrated and advised, or rather put me in confusion to choose wisely between Hampi and Kasol.

Last day at Goa began, by seeing off my travel partner and long  time friend who had booked his return tickets from Margo. I had no return tickets or any plans, but just thoughts. The Heat was really a matter of concern, as two more bags added to my luggage. My digestive acid functioned really well at the time and had already started eating up my fat, I could feel my intestine burning. My eye balls started rolling foods as I saw the name board of Kamath hotel on the other side of the road. My engine was back to normal and the turbine had already started supplying energy.

I walked down to Panaji bus stand, confused about making the decision after doing a research on bus schedules. Having no clue about what to do, I ringed up Midhun, my cousin aka Chiku. He enquired me about the further plans of the trip, to which I replied blank.
He being another solo traveller understood my confusion and said "When you had decided to go, Hampi has already decided to receive you, don't see the place but feel the place so that you won’t feel the heat".
A little motivation was the need of the hour and he had it. I went to the booking counter and booked my tickets, I choose to travel in Karnataka SRTC to Hampi from Panaji.

5.30 am on 3-05-2017. "Hampi - last stop, Hampi - last stop" the conductor shouted from the front cabin. As I got down from the bus, I visualized Chippy's hand drawn map and tried to match it with the description narrated by her, all the time I was looking for the river that I had heard a lot about, the river that divides the Holy and the Unholy side. A tea shop at the corner of the Hampi bazar and few auto drivers becoming tour guides explaining their packages, was the only thing that I saw. With no rooms booked and just 175 INR in my wallet, I went to the shop before I go desperately looking for a ATM. Tea shop conversations had always been an source of information from my previous experiences being a sales guy. Within no time, I befriended Subbiah, a Tamil resident settled in Hampi. He introduced me to Raghu Anna, who would later become the important part of my journey.

Raghu Anna, was kind enough to know about me, before he explained his guide package. I understood that we could either opt between an auto guide charged at five hundred rupees for four hours or a rented two-wheeler or bi-cycle charged somewhere between a hundred or two per day. I felt stranded, as the closest ATM is in Kamalapura which is five kilometres from Hampi. One hundred and fifty rupees was the deal to get me to Kamalapura and back.

I like to believe that the things that followed are nothing but an omen to understand the kindness and honesty of Hampi residents. I had already decided on extending my days of stay in Hampi.

All the ATM counters were closed, opened counters had no money as well, Raghu Anna confirmed with his friend in Kadirampura to find out if there are any ATM counters opened. We were unlucky. I started to feel concerned as I would be left with no money, after I pay for the trip.

Every person who I met there never failed to surprise me with their humility and attitude. Likewise, did Raghu Anna.
Looking at my plight, In his words, he said 

"You can pay me after withdrawing money from the ATM available in Hospet, I will be around near the auto stand, you can call me when you come back"

Hospet was twelve kilometres from Hampi. Completely blown away with the gesture I was subconsciously getting attached to the place and the people. When I came back from Hospet around 7 am, the dawn break smiled brightly on the scenic mountains of Hampi. Raghu Anna had gone home to refresh, before his starting his morning schedule. I handed over the money to Subbiah, before I started walking to the other side.


I had the best time of my life when I lived there. But, I feel it is not my life in Hampi that you should know, but the life of Sahasra. A young solo traveller who decides to go for a leisure drive to Hampi on a weekend during the time of dusshera and gets stuck up there for 13 days which became a career defining moment in her life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs